Friday, December 5, 2014

DIY Boot Cuffs {Holiday Gift Idea}

I adore boots. I really do. I will wear boots in the middle of summer, when it's 90 degrees outside. And I am so excited to be getting a pair of Frye boots for Christmas. I'm going to wear those things until I die :)

You can only imagine how excited I was when I first saw the adorable boot socks that everyone's making. How could I not want a pair(s)!?! Here's the tricky part... I have a huge foot, size 12 to be exact. So, it wasn't surprising that I couldn't find any long and cute boot socks in my size, not even handmade on Etsy.

Out of pure frustration, I took it upon myself to make my own sort of boot sock contraption... a boot cuff! It's basically a faux boot sock. I don't take credit for inventing the thing; I'm sure it was thought of years ago, but I'm pretty proud of myself. It's not a real sock, but it looks like it is and it has the cute factor I was looking for. Add buttons, ribbons, or embellishments if you'd like. I like to keep things pretty simple over here :)

Oh, please ignore how hairy my leggings are. I have two cats and no sense of self awareness until the photo is already taken.





















Knitting your own Boot Cuffs is really easy. All you need is some yarn (I used super bulky leftover from a project), a pair of knitting needles (I used size 13), and a needle to stitch the ends together. I casted on 13 stitches and knitted until I had a long enough cuff to fit around the top of my calf, under my knee where the top of my boots hit. 










Need help with knitting? No worries. I've got you covered in my "How to Knit a Coffee Cup Cozy" tutorial. Just cast on 13 stitches (more or less depending on your yarn) instead of seven and knit until you reach your desired length.

Happy crafting, friends :)
And have an awesome weekend!


4 comments:

  1. I love it! this would make a great gift for my girls and their friends!! Wishing you a merry Christmas :)
    xox, Crystelle
    CrystelleBoutique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by! Have a very Merry Christmas:)

      Delete
  2. I have never been successful with my knitting endeavors...I think I am just too impatient. But my teenage daughter knits, thanks to her grandmother...this would be a good Christmas gift project for her. I bet her friends would love them...I would too! :) Visiting from Say G'Day and glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would love these! And they come together so quickly. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!