Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Homemade Bath Bombs

Good Morning, friends! I hope all of you are well ;)

The past few days have been pretty great! Lots of relaxing, a little learning, and a little crafting. There's no better way to spend time!

In the spirit of trying to eat cleaner and to be more conscious of what's in my foods, I thought that I should be more aware of what's in my beauty products as well. What I put on my body should be just as important as what I put in my body, right??

These Homemade Bath Bombs are a much better alternative to many store-bought bath fizzies. No crazy chemicals or funky dyes here! They're so easy to make and can be so easily customized for any occasion or taste. Use any shape of silicone mold and use any scent or essential oil. The possibilities are truly endless.



Homemade Bath Bombs

Recipe from Dixie Crystals

What you need:

1/2 cup citric acid
1 cup baking soda
1/ 4 cup extra fine granulated sugar
Witch hazel (in a squirt bottle)
Fragrance/essential oil
Silicone mold

How to make them:

Mix the first 3 ingredients in a bowl. Break apart any clumps with a spoon. Add the essential oil/fragrance, just a few drops at a time. FYI: a few drops go a long way. Mix up the mixture evenly. Squirt in the witch hazel, a little at a time, stirring to combine. Only add a few drops at a time so that the mixture to start the fizzing process. Once the mixture seems moist enough to pack together like damp sand, distribute the mixture evenly between your molds, but only fill the molds about 1/2 full. Press the mixture firmly into the mold. The more compacted the mixture is, the better the bath bomb will hold up. Let the bath bombs set up and dry for at least 2 hours to overnight, depending on how wet your mixture is.

Tips & Tricks:

To be on the safe side, I let mine sit for well over 24 hours to dry. They just seemed too damp after a few hours! And they turned out pretty great! I also halved the recipe because I didn't have enough baking soda. I ended up with four bath bombs, so if you follow the recipe as-is, you will get at least 8. I used Now Foods Lemongrass Essential Oil that I picked up at Whole Foods, but it's available on Amazon too.




So go make these, take a bath, and relax :)
Does anyone else wish they enjoyed baths more than they actually do?? Ha!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!