Saturday, November 9, 2013

Traveling Tips + Hotel Room Workout

I love to travel. I was away at the IFTA fitness workshops last weekend and I'm going out of town again this weekend (more details later). Whether I'm visiting somewhere new or spending time with family in nearby states, I love a little break in the everyday routine to relax, explore, and visit with the ones I love. When I'm not organized, traveling isn't so fun and I'm left wishing that I had been a little more thoughtful with planning ahead.

Today, I'm sharing a few tips that I use when I leave town. These tips make the whole process much easier; there's less stress involved, I'm not waiting until the last minute to pack, and I know I didn't forget anything.

A lot of what I'm about to share might seem incredibly obvious to you and if so, just ignore this part of the post :)


The week before:

Start making lists! Make a list of everything you will need to take with you. Because you're making this list so far in advance, you're not likely to forget something!

Make a list of your game plan. A lot of my trips involve shopping for things like grocery items or personal care items. The closest Wal-Mart is about an hour and a half away from where I live and the closest Target is nearly three hours away. When I leave the island, I tend to stock up essentials!

Check your car! If you will be driving your car, do you need to get the oil changed? How are the tires? Do you need to put air in the tires?


Two days before:

Laundry time & packing! This is when I start to pack my clothes. I lay out outfits on my bed and I try to pack things that can mix and match so that I don't over-pack. While packing clothes, I usually start a load of laundry, as I usually have a favorite shirt or sports bra that needs to be washed so that I can take it on my trip. It's also nice to come home to an empty clothes hamper; I hate coming home to a list of chores waiting for me.

Also, go ahead and pack snacks or any food items that you know you'll need while you're gone (or at least get an idea of what you might want to pack). This is important if you have dietary restrictions or picky eaters on hand. There always seems to be a long stretch of road without restaurants or stores and that's always when hunger strikes! I always end up packing snacks because I need to eat every few hours. On the chance that I go a while without food, I can feel my blood sugar dropping and my mood changes. Babe says I remind him of the people in the Snickers commercials... "You're not you when you're hungry." :)


 
 
The day before:

Load up the car & fill up. I've recently started packing my car the night before a trip and it's the best idea I ever had, especially when you have to leave early in the morning. It saves so much time and decreases stress, especially if you've got kids or family members that are slow movers. I love waking up, having coffee/breakfast, getting myself dresses and ready, getting into the car, and driving away! No extra work involved and no leaving anything behind.

I also usually put a few gallons of water in the car. I'm always thirsty, (does traveling dehydrate everyone or just me?) so it's nice to have a supply of water on hand whenever I need it. The day before is also the time to fill up on gasoline and to make sure you have plenty of cash on hand. Why give yourself an extra step on a busy morning?



The workout:

When you've finally reached your destination, here's a quick workout that can be completed wherever you go; no equipment needed!


Happy Travels!

What are your plans for the weekend?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!