Friday, February 27, 2015

Homemade Graham Crackers

Hi, friends. I apologize for the long silence. I've had a lot going on... a rough break-up, a job change, and a I've got lot of packing ahead of me. I had so many fun Valentine things planned for this little space on the Internet, but plans change and they will have to wait until next year.

On a happier note, this little blog will soon have a new look and a new domain name thanks to Jenny. Stay tuned :)

Call me crazy, but I'm making my best effort to make my own food. I've already gone without buying bread since December and I'm trying to make all of my snacks from scratch, too. I love knowing exactly what is in my food and I love that it's preservative free.

No high-fructose corn syrup and other crap here. Just real food for this real girl. Simplicity is what I'm striving for and these graham crackers do the trick! They are delicious and make the perfect pairing for your afternoon coffee :)




Homemade Graham Crackers

Recipe from Kitchen Simplicity

Ingredients:

1 cup whole wheat flour
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup brown sugar, packed
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
¼ cup honey
¼ cup water

Directions:

In the bowl of your stand mixer, add the first six ingredients and combine. Add the butter and mix until the mixture has turned to coarse crumbs. Next, add the honey and water. Mix until incorporated and the dough is easily gathered into a ball.

Shape the dough into a ball and roll it out until it is about 1/4" thick. Cut the dough into desired shapes and sizes. Place crackers on a baking sheet with a on-stick baking mat (or use parchment paper) on a baking sheet. Re-roll the remaining dough until all of dough is used.

Bake at 350ºF for 15 minutes,or until slightly darkened around edges. The graham crackers should be slightly soft, as they will harden as they cool off. Remove the graham crackers and place on a wire wrack to cool. Store in an airtight container for 1 week, or freeze for longer storage.




Have a wonderful weekend!
Please stop by on Monday for a sweaty workout :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!