Monday, February 17, 2014

Grain-Free Upside Down Blueberry Bread

Hello, hello. I hope you all had an amazing weekend! I certainly did. I enjoyed lots of birthday festivities and basked in my 23 year-old glory ;) Ha! Mondays kind of stink, so I'm here to get your day started right by sharing a delicious recipe with you-- a gluten-free recipe!

I don't have a gluten allergy, so I haven't tried too many gluten-free products or recipes. My thinking was always, "why fix it if it isn't broken?"

Well, the other day I decided to take a shot at gluten-free baking. I was inspired by Fitnessista to make a Grain-Free Upside Down Blueberry Bread. I'm so glad I did because it was full of flavor, packed with protein, and was the perfect treat at the end of the day. I may have also had a slice with my coffee the next morning :)


Grain-Free Upside Down Blueberry Bread

Ingredients:

For the bottom layer

1 1/2 - 2 cups blueberries (mine were frozen)
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

For the top layer

1 1/2 cups almond meal (*make your own!)
3 eggs
1 tablespoon oil (canola, coconut, etc.)
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of sea salt


Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350* and spray a 9 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray.

In a small bowl, combine the blueberries, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Spread the berry mixture on the bottom of the baking pan, in an even layer.

In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and add the remaining ingredients. Whisk or beat the ingredients until well incorporated. Evenly pour the batter over the berry mixture.

Bake for 25 minutes, or until cooked through and golden.



Making your own almond meal is super easy. Just toss raw almonds into your food processor and let it go! The time it takes to transform to almond meal will depend on the power of your food processor, but please keep an eye on it so that it doesn't turn into almond butter. And if it does turn into almond butter, spread it on some toast and enjoy! Then try again :)


Do you eat gluten-free? What's your favorite GF recipe? Share the link to it below.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!