Friday, November 14, 2014

The Best Brown Rice Method

Hello, friends and brown rice consumers. Let me take a moment to profess my love for brown rice.

Brown rice is the best. It has protein. It has fiber. It is so versatile. It can serve as a key ingredient in any salad bowl (think Chipotle), it can be an awesome addition to fish tacos or stuffed peppers, and it can even serve as a filling side dish.



But let me ask you a question.

How many times have you followed the directions on the back of the brown rice bag, and ended up with a glob of mushy rice that by no means resembles what you would get from a restaurant???

I know I have!!  Until now anyway...

A few months ago I was finally fed up. I was flat out tired of gross-tasting brown rice. I can cook white rice perfectly, so why was my brown rice turning out awful???

I must have read a dozen recipes and tried a half dozen and this is the one. I don't know the science behind why this method works well and the others don't.

I only know the best method only method that I will now use to cook my brown rice. This one.



The Best Brown Rice Method

From pinchmysalt.com

Ingredients:

rice (any type)
water (4 cups of water to 1 cup of rice)
salt, to taste

Directions:

In a large pot, boil the water. While the water boils, rinse and strain the rice in cold water. Once the water is boiling, add the rice to the pot. Stir and reduce the heat to meduim. Cook for 30 minutes, uncovered, while stirring occasionally. Once 30 minutes has passes, strain the rice and return to the pot. Remove the pot from the heat, cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid, and let sit for 10 minutes. Once the 10 minutes has passed, uncover the pot and fluff the rice with a fork. Season with salt as desired.


Ta-da! No more bad brown rice ever again. And seriously, set your timer for the 30 minutes of cooking and 10 minutes of resting (steaming). It doesn't turn out quite right unless you follow the directions :)


Have a super lovely weekend, friends :)


2 comments:

  1. G'day Looks yum All blog comments appreciated and sharing is caring today!
    Cheers! Joanne @ What's On The List #SayGdayParty pinned all submissions thx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks perfect!! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!