Monday, July 22, 2013

7/22: One Beautiful Thing Monday

Did you guys know that yesterday was National Ice Cream Day?
That, by far, was the most beautiful thing this week...
 
Because honoring the holiday was the right thing to do, I had to take a break from cleaning to indulge in one of these tasty treats- a Nestle Ice Cream Toll House Cookie Sandwich on a beautiful day; what more could you ask for?
 

Just kidding! But ice cream is certainly a beautiful thing. One beautiful thing that I physically saw this week was this gorgeous hibiscus growing on our front porch. This bloom is huge and I hope it stays around for at least a few more days. So pretty.
 
 
One beautiful thing that I saw on TV and read about is all of the protests for the recent trial of George Zimmerman for the death of Trayvon Martin. I don't like to get political and all opinionated on this blog, but I believe that Zimmerman should have been found guilty and I feel that it all has to do with a much bigger issue: race.
 
 
It was truly beautiful to see celebrities like Jay Z and Beyoncé attend the protests. President Obama even came forward, saying “Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago." He went on to say, “There are very few African-American men in this country who haven’t had the experience of being followed when they were shopping in a department store. That includes me." I feel like Trayvon's death was senseless and unnecessary, but if there can be some silver lining in such a horrific tragedy, maybe the racial injustice in our country can be changed.
 
 
Did you see something beautiful this week?
If so, share it in the comment box below.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!